Monday, September 4, 2017

September again!

Yes, I'm late. Yes, this blog is, indeed, called September's Rabbit in Argyle. I was in such a rush that I forgot the argyle. 

What's happening? Hmm, the school buses are back in the 'hood, it's not as warm as it was (downright chilly, at times), and it's Labor Day.

This and that: This weekend, we watched a movie called Damsels in Distress, which was interesting, quirky, and had some funny moments. I picked it out on a whim, and consider it a successful one. You never know, with me...I also finished reading  The Golem and the Jinni, by Helene Wecker, and enjoyed it very much. And it makes me feel like going to New York City and walking all over the place.

Also, I've been making an effort to meditate for a little over a month now, and believe it's made a difference, that it's helping me stay calm and keep perspective. And stop fretting about issues out of my control. My life is good--and pretty easy.

It's hard to read the news these days and not feel muscles tightening...people in and around Houston: what will they do? Lives have been lost. Then, there are people who are sick or on treatment without their meds...mortgages due on houses that are now uninhabitable or gone, schools closed indefinitely...so many issues, it hurts to think....

And here I sit...distracting myself.

Mom and I checked out Bedford Street Antiques in Carlisle yesterday, and were blown away by the volume and variety of stuff--beautiful china that--no one wants anymore, vintage clothing too small for people today, records, books, all kinds of tools from a by gone era that had to be labeled for a millennial population, old sewing machines, jars, hats, jewelry, luggage, shoes, lamps, cabinets, tables, shelves, and--gossip chairs. Mom figured out what they were called. On Pinterest, I learned that they are sometimes called tête-à-tête chairs, which means the same thing, only in French, so it's more...refined.

I did not take these pictures. Obviously.
You get the idea. And here's a more modern and very practical version...

I
The lever-thing almost looks steam punk, no? I found it on a site called: Chairish. It's sold. Too expensive, anyway. 

Newsflash! Mike and I actually got into a pool before August ended, at the home of one of our book group friends. It was a very fun evening. 

Also, we are both taking off the week of September 10th, and will spend a couple nights in Atlantic City. We're taking the train down. I enjoy train rides...and we'll be lunching at Bridgewater's, a pub at the 30th Street station, on the way down. We always enjoy the place. With the balance of our time, we may go hiking somewhere...

~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is the first Labor Day that we will not spend eating with Mike's parents in their backyard. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law is now in a nursing home, where the staff are helping her regain some strength so she can go home. She is very sick with pneumonia, and we believe that she had a mild stroke before that. Her rehabilitation is going to be quite a challenge. 

And now it's time to get up and move. I get all kind of stiff very quickly these days!

Whatchaupto?












1 comment:

  1. I love that chair with the lever!
    I enjoyed the antique store a lot. It was a fun day. All it needed was a gnome.
    Do you want a ride to the train station? I'd be happy to take you.

    ReplyDelete