Saturday, October 5, 2019

October



Did I skip over September and land in October already? Yes. Yes, I did, just as I was getting used to dating everything 9-

So, here we are at 10-5. Rabbit, rabbit, a happy lucky October to everyone!

It's a lovely day here in Central PA, though shockingly cool. Mike left Thursday night for State College for his annual get together with old friends, Mom and her BFF are enjoying the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, TN, and I didn't work or have any plans. It's been quiet. I did run a couple errands and donated a box of stuff. Baby steps--lots of unused whatsits around here.

It's been a couple decades since I've been to State College, and listening to Mike's recent reports, it's evident that it's a different place than the one I remember. For one thing, we weren't online back then. The internet has changed absolutely everything.  According to its website, Pattee Library is now equipped with wifi and a bring-your- own-device study area, and--there are plans for a Starbucks somewhere, as well.

I should be reading my current novel or Time Magazine, or catching up on Moth stories, or just walking outside, enjoying the day. Instead, I find myself drawn online, browsing the awful news. What will be will be, whether I read about it or not. It's a train wreck I can't help but gawk at--which is a poor analogy for me, since I always (cowardly) look away from those types of scenes. But anyway--so many articles, such as Trump is High on His Own Supply, by Jeet Heer, and NPR catch my attention, over and over. The internet and social media have kept me addicted.
~~~~

Wait--I haven't mentioned vacation. It was beautiful, and I didn't really post many pictures. We have hit the same beach for years now, but had especially nice weather and an almost seaweed-free experience this year. Not that seaweed would ever keep me from the glorious ocean.


That's another picture of me, Mom will recognize the skirt


This is one view of the beach, as we walk through an outdoor lobby.





The beach was simply mesmerizing, the most relaxing place to simply be. The pools are popular, and nice, but nothing is quite the same as the ocean. Oddly, there is never any competition for lounge chairs in the sand. So, go flop! Listen to the waves---

~~~

It was grand, and then we came home, and I had to be grateful for all the lovely experiences that make life rich. Even with the news. And the shootings, and schools that experience lock downs or cancellations because of scary people. Problems.

While enjoying Live from Here, a radio show, I heard a rendition of something new to me--Laurie Anderson's Only an Expert--and I liked it immediately. I looked it up on YouTube and--the video was a barrage of really awful stuff: the news, the worst of it. Good recording, though, if you just listen.

Tomorrow is Sunday, another day without work. And sunshine. I'll suck it up, and hope you do, too.


Whatchaupto?












1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a great vacation!
    You are so beautiful.
    Looking forward to seeing you Sunday.

    ReplyDelete