Thursday, May 28, 2020

May. For a bit longer.

What day is it? They go by so quickly lately, I don't know. First, I retired, and not long after, a pandemic happened, and we've put some plans on hold, and that is not helping me with the time thing. Good thing I have my trusty phone.  Thursday! Jueves. AND there are three days left in May. Monday will be June. 

Another thing: evidently, I'm practicing my old lady forgetfulness. Am I asking about something you've already told me? My attention seems to be off. 

Are we seeing Bob anytime soon? Will we get to travel out to North Dakota this year? Any travel? How about dental cleanings? Bob is holding up well, we miss him, and are so sorry about all this. He does have everything else he needs, does have some human contact. All the other stuff is trivial, but would be nice to know. Since we don't have kids, I am totally out of touch with how the seniors these days are coping with--a multitude of changes and problems.

Our county turned yellow on--Friday? Lost track of that, too. On my way to and from Mom's yesterday, I saw a dreadful number of cars parked outside of Community Aid. There is no way there can be any social distancing there, and the idea of trying on clothes right now seems very wrong. We must remain more careful than that.  I am grateful to be able to visit Mom, and honestly, it is pretty much the only exercise my car is getting. 

That said, I got my car inspected in record time this morning, Since it hasn't been out much, there was nothing to see, here. It was a strange experience; no waiting room, very quiet. I would usually sit waiting for this to be done, so it seemed strange to have to drop it off. Of course, I understand, they can't have many people around, with such a small space, and certainly cannot be opening up a restroom. That will be a stumbling block for a long time. I was the only customer there, even after their parts store opened. 

I have just finished a book called Fall on Your Knees, by Anne-Marie MacDonald, a family saga covering four generations, starting in Nova Scotia. It's both excellent and horribly sad. My next read must be something lighter. Also, I've watched the first two seasons of Downton Abbey on my tablet. It's good, though sometimes a bit melodramatic. That's okay, that's entertainment. 

Somehow, I thought I'd burn through books during retirement, but that has not been true. Somehow, days and days shoot by me. I get distracted by news, oh, awful news, as well as silly things. There's so much of everything. And distraction is my special talent. And help! I'm playing lightning round, and I can't get off!

There is a fear that I will someday be like those elderly people Mike and I saw years ago on the day cruise in Port William Sound, who sat below deck, missing all the scenery and asking, when's lunch? When's dinner? Okay, so the weather was bad and cloudy, but still, we saw puffins, and buoy #9 with all the seal lions lounging about. It's a memory. And we'll make more memories, I know. I am going to be wide awake and I will know what day it is.

Look at that, it's already 5pm, and I've rabbited on for eight paragraphs. 

So, whatchupto?



1 comment:

  1. As usual I'm wasting my time online. It's amazing how little I get done.
    I'm not reading enough, and I love reading.
    I can't watch the news because of the insane person who lives in the White House. He's killing our country.
    You've written a wonderful post, proving that your brain is in good condition.

    ReplyDelete