Sunday, November 12, 2017

Road to Nowhere

Kurt Vonnegut once said that we are here to fart around, and I'm beginning to realize that it's my only talent. If you are having a good time farting around, it's your special power, too.

This weekend has been splendid so far. Friday was Mike's 55th birthday, so we went out to his favorite Italian BYOB, which means he got exactly the wine and the comfort food he adores, and since I have similar taste, it was a double whammy of happiness.

Yesterday, I finally got to walk around with and visit with Mom. We discovered that the local mall is in High Christmas Mode. And just as I typed that, the voice of David Sedaris reading from his Santaland Diaries almost incapacitated me. Anyway, so then we went back and watched Penn State Football, along with Della and Mike. This little get together is a rare treat, actually. AND we got pizza! Good times.

The Christmas Thing that's going on already had me peeved last weekend, when I made my annual pilgrimage to Gertrude & Hawke's to buy Mike's birthday candy: the smidgens are all shaped like Santa, and they have been since the first week of November. Also, Mike's favorite flavor is not a Christmas offering. Interesting. Okay, so things change, and if nothing changed, what a boring world it would be. Christmas shopping and Christmas music start November 1st now. Noted. And the Macris chocolates were a big hit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am doing my best to keep busy and not worry about anything. I knitted a scarf in earth tones with chunky yarn and bigger needles--I keep wanting to type "keep knitting with big kneedles." Knitting Kneedles: it's probably a yarn shop somewhere...wait, let me check...google doesn't give me anything, but Amazon lets me go with it. That's funny. Anyway, my chunky scarf is not a thing of beauty, but it's a first attempt. And it kept me focused on something whilst listening to some good radio.

~~~~~~~~~~

My refurbished Nook came quickly, and I'm enjoying it very much. There have been a couple of nice updates.  My present novel is Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. It's the lighter fantasy read after the dark and serious Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi (which I highly recommend).

Last night's movie was Collateral Beauty, unusual and unlikely, but engaging and well-done. It sort of channels Dickens, and the cast is a collection of well-known thespians. I liked it.

Look! It's still only 8:00am. I've got all of Sunday ahead of me, and I'm looking forward to it. There is so much to be thankful for...

Whatchaupto?





1 comment:

  1. I know I posted a comment days ago. Where da heck is it?
    Anyhoo, I enjoyed this post. Although I did expect more farting.

    ReplyDelete