Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Sometime in Late July

It's Tuesday, the start of nothing but the rest of my life (so the inspirational memes say), and so I thought, let's blog again. 

Today happens to be birthday time for Della's kiddos, who we still call The Twins. They are down with that. Thirty-somethings, now. Inconceivable!

Today, I am roasting beets for the first time. Confession: it's my first time roasting anything. We have friends who live on a farm, and every once in awhile, we get free veggies. Lots of veggies. This time, I got beets of every size! Who knew that there was such a variety? Most adults, probably. 

 Mike does not adore beets, but I do, and am curious if they are even better roasted. Mike is working today, and in about 12 minutes, he will come out to prepare his lunch and will notice that the cutting board is now a stunning pink color. I would not blame him if he thinks that there's been enough pink in life, but those are other stories.

The current book is Cloud Cuckoo Land, by Jonathan Doerr, courtesy of Netgalley. I am enjoying this very much. And I have others piled up--a book group selection that will be very different, a couple nonfiction books loaned to us by friends, and there's another Netgalley book waiting, as well. It's pouring books, over here. 

Speaking of reading, I have recently realized that I must be mindful how I do it, physically. Back and hip problems that clear up with a bunch of stretching exercises mean I'm a senior now, and so no more lounging around on the futon. Sit up, and not for long periods of time. A day of poor posture can wreck a night's sleep. Actually, staying in bed too long can be painful, too. 


In other boring ME-news, I made the switch from coffee to black tea, without too much discomfort. The tea contains enough caffeine to prevent those searing headaches I got from trying that ill-advised cold turkey stunt, and plus with tea, I can make it quickly the night before, stick it in the frig, and have iced tea in the morning, way nicer than hot stuff when there's no central air conditioning. I do miss coffee, but not that much. 

The verdict on the beets: I really liked them, Mike sampled and said, meh.  Which is a lot better than the usual yuck.  So, more for me. 

So, whatchaupto?






1 comment:

  1. I'm up to hoping you can drop by tomorrow and help me with my new watch.
    I'm glad you blogged, 'cause I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete