Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Boycott

 When I was a teenager, my mother boycotted Nestle, for a very good reason. I still think of that brand as evil, for the way the company prioritized profit over the health of babies, particularly taking advantage of third-world countries. 

I never set foot in Hobby Lobby, even though it's conveniently right down the road from me. My problem is mostly the company's insistence on denying contraception to its employees, but that's not the only reason. They also discriminate against the LGBTQ community and exhibit a general intolerance to anyone that doesn't fit into some kind of evangelical mindset. Most recently, they stayed open during the COVID-19 lockdown, ignoring state mandates and endangering their employees. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would work there. Nope, if I need crafting supplies, I go see Joann or Michael. 

Fewer stores will be open on Thanksgiving this year, and I like to think that it's an effort to be kinder to their employees. 

If I can avoid spending my money at a retailer or business that supports mistreating others, I do. It just makes me feel better.

So, that's why I've left Facebook. It's not the first time I've left, but it will be the last. Now that I have a smart phone and participate on other social sites, I should be able to keep in touch with others without using a platform that hurts so many people. And once again, the most damage is done in third-world countries. 

Anyone who has boycotted any business for any reason could understand avoiding Facebook.




And when I heard that Mark Zuckerberg is planning on reaching young people by creating a metaverse...I'm scared, really scared. That man is already affecting the world in ways that were not foreseen, and now he's hiring 10,000 engineers to build his own world--instead of spending that money to make things safer for everyone. Strap on that virtual headset and never leave...mwahahahaha. GAME OVER for society as we know it. 

I enjoyed reading Ready, Player One, but it was a cautionary tale, not a goal!

So, I'm not trying to snub anyone, or be holier-than-thou (good trick for an atheist), so I didn't create a dramatic post on Facebook before leaving (it'll be awhile 'til most people even notice, which is a luxury), I just left, because I'm uncomfortable about being there, and the very idea of being a product. 

Keep in touch! 


So, whatchaupto?


* I love this print of a young woman washing her hare





1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! I agree with it all. Maybe I'll get the gumpstion to leave FB one of these days.

    ReplyDelete