Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Rabbit, Rabbit! Happy, Lucky August, Everyone!




 Good morning! Yes, I'm actually writing a blog entry, such as it is, on August 1, 2023. The year is something I need to remind myself about these days, since time becomes so fluid and easily poured out in retirement.  

And speaking of this human construct, August, a month that arbitrarily has thirty-one (31) days, is regarded as the Sunday of summer. That should mean that it's relaxing, but I think most people think it means that this warm weathered season is almost over for those who are having a relaxed break from school. (I keep wondering why we capitalize the first letter in the days of the week. It's weird.)

So, what do I have to write home about? For one thing, we learned last night, during dinner at our favorite Indian restaurant, that Banana Leaf is about to get a makeover. I'd noticed that the walls looked spruced up, and then realized that they'd painted. They are getting new furniture and there will be about four special places to be reserved for Indian barbecue, which the owner says is very common in India, but not present here at all, and it's nothing like the barbecue places we have in the US. These tables will have their own fire pits, but it sounds like barbecue will also be available to order, also  (but if you wanna cook your own, reserve a pit and grill to your heart's desire). 

There will also be a Jain table. I did not know what this was until asking what this term was on the menu. Jain cuisine is lacto-vegetarian and lacks root veggies. People who practice Jain ascetics do not want to disturb small insects and microorganisms. Learning something new every day!  There are plenty of veggies that are considered okay to them, but I would sure miss potatoes and beets.

In ME news, I have become addicted to playing games on my phone. It's appalling, really. I'm supposed to be reading David Copperfield, the Dickens classic, as a precursor to enjoying Demon Copperhead, by Barbara Kingsolver. Mike finished, of course, because he is focused and disciplined. I am barely halfway through, largely because I've been playing Best Fiends, Solitaire 2, Royal Match...the list goes on. Sometimes, I forget to play Wordle! I had a nice long streak going there, too. Obviously, it wasn't important, and I really, truly, don't care what Wordlebot says. If I got that word in three or four guesses, I'm happy, save the statistics for people with minds--not like mine.

Moving on, as I should be, we here in Pennsylvania have been enjoying weather that is hot, but not as hot as many parts of the country or world. Climate change is killing people. We might be witnessing a tipping point, a huge change in life as we know it. 

And meanwhile, life goes on. A former president may or may not serve time for a host of crimes, democracy around the world is facing tough times, and I'm playing games.

On a lighter note, I visited #1 sister yesterday. Evidently, her cat Kathe does not get enough attention, and covered me with her hair, since I'd just shaved and was lacking hair of my own. #1 sister just had carpal tunnel surgery, so is homebound for a bit, since she's not to drive. I walked there, and discovered that even the walkable journey measures a bit less than three miles. And the walk home shook all the cat hair off me, too. It was a lovely day for a walk, too, and I was grateful to get in a walk while visiting!  Cool beans.

Mike is now a walker, too. I was pleasantly surprised at how happily he's given up running and found walking to be an enjoyable exercise. And he's got new, spiffy Hokas that are giving him happy feet.

And now I suppose that it's time for me to get up and move...

So, whatchaupto?





1 comment:

  1. You have made your mama happy by posting.
    Today I went to Pulmonary Rehab for the last time, then went to get a blood test at the Penn State clinic on Chestnut street. After that I did Bee Miller's grocery shopping. Then I picked up McDonald's meals for Della and me and went to her place
    After we ate, I washed her hair.
    When I washed Della's hair, Kathe's eyes were as big as saucers! She seemed sure that I was damaging her mama.
    Tomorrow Della is going to drive to Cornerstone. She seems to be doing well.
    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete