Friday, October 13, 2017

Ides of October...Or Something Like That


One of my coworkers remarked, the other day, that as soon as a month starts, it's over. I don't want October to march off too quickly. Let's have some fall in our lives before winter, I always hope. And so far, so good. 

And speaking of work, there have been some changes, most of which I regard favorably, mostly because change decreases boredom. For one thing, after years of working the drive-thru almost all the time, I'm now working the lobby most of the time. I like the drive-thru, but change is good. Either way, the entertainment can be free. For instance,  in the drive-thru, we have an older gent who starts his day off at the grocery store, riding around in one of those battery operated scooters...then, he comes through the bank's drive-thru--in his battery operated grocery store scooter, and when he's done with us, he gets into the Arby's drive-thru queue in his battery operated grocery store scooter. He eventually returns it...I'm sure people who are not used to seeing him tsk about those big letters on the side of said scooter that say something about not leaving the grocery store, but whatever.

In the lobby, there is much variety...every day, around 4:00pm, Ed comes in, whether he has banking business or not, to trade out his bad blue money for better money, and by "better" he means bills minted in Republican states. He makes quite the impression on the other customers because he has no volume control.  And my manager is not very good at being dignified around him. 

The other change is, we all have phone calls to make, and that is not fun, but--having obligations does pass the time. And honestly, some of the people on these lists can be crossed off right away...and then we have compliance courses, another obligation that does keep us engaged and busy on days that are otherwise not too hectic. Lately, our branch has become busier--but somehow, we're making do with a smaller staff AND these added tasks. And eventually, the branches will be remodeled so as not to have a separate drive-thru, and that will make things easier on us, too. 

Enough of that.
~~~~~~~~


The last movie we borrowed from Netflix (we still have the snail mail version) was We Need to Talk about Kevin, which is also a novel by Lionel Shriver, one that I've had on my virtual TBR list for quite some time. It's a haunting movie and now I'm even more motivated to move that up on my list. At the end of the movie, I had questions, and I hope the book illuminates some things...it's a heartbreaking story. During the movie, my tears were for Kevin's mother, who did not seem to be getting any sympathy from many others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of books and such, 3D and I got to see Salman Rushdie at The Midtown Scholar, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mr. Rushdie was very charming and read the first chapter of his new book to us. I'm in the middle of The Golden House and loving it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good news: I got new running shoes, and I love them. After spending weeks walking, my left foot finally feels better...I did see a podiatrist, who diagnosed my problem as extensor tendonitis, and suggested these shoes. Of course, I am now walk-jogging: being very careful, since I am ever so good at irritating myself. Without further ado, here they are!*




Aren't they wild??? Very cushiony, intended for people with knee pain and problematic feet. That's me. They are expensive, but there are better deals to be had online. I ordered my usual size, and they fit perfectly, big toe box and all. The laces are elastic! I mentioned them to my oncologist and he googled them right away--I thought that was funny.

Speaking of my oncologist, I just had my last three-month appointment and have graduated to seeing him every six months. Yay, fewer doctor appointments. I think the blood draws might be over, too; those numbers were simply checking my recovery from treatment, and I have been recovered from treatment. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This coming weekend might feel like a study in opposites. Before the word bipolar was used to describe a certain type of depression, I might have used it here...but anyway: on Saturday, we are going to a wedding, which will be a joyous occasion, but it will also be sad, since the bride's father is gone. Her father was Mike's best friend, and her mother has already cried at the sight of her daughter's dress, and I'm sure this will be an especially loaded event for her. But it will mostly be happy! These young'uns are great people and well-matched. Their children are doing well. 

On Sunday, we will go visit Mike's family. Our niece is driving all the way from Minnesota to see her grandparents. Mike's mother is now in palliative care at the nursing home, where they are now acknowledging that she will not be going home. It will be wonderful to see Niece, but in general, the mood will be melancholy. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's My Blog and I'll Cry if I Want To!

And then, there's politics. The backdrop to all of our lives right now is the dumpster in chief, and how in the world we are to recover from this. Puerto Rico! If his base still thinks his words are okay...then there are no words. 

Okay, I won't start. Besides, I need to get ready for work...


Cheers! I read some study that stated that Americans are drinking more. Really?? 



Whatchaupto?



*Hoka One One Gaviota. 

1 comment:

  1. Another great post. You're a star at blogging.

    I didn't know that Niece would be driving. That's a big trip.

    Change is deplorable. On the other hand, it can relieve boredom.

    Cute kicks!

    ReplyDelete